Friday, October 15, 2010

Eating with ONE Chopstick

* A book review and my story behind getting the book. Hehe. *

First of all, let me say that I'm honored, humbled and grateful to my relative (until now we're not sure to what degree we are related, basta ang alam ko kamag-anak din namin ang mga Salceda)- LJ Salceda for giving me a complimentary copy of her first book! Super thank you LJ!

The story behind it: Early last month, we were texting each about ministry thing when she mentioned that she will give me a copy of her book and I can come on the launch to get it. However, due to work sched conflict I wasn't able to go to SM Mall of Asia for the launch. And so I thought- "I'll buy na lang my copy" but good thing I got preoccupied and didn't had the chance to go to the bookstore to buy because on September 27, I received another text from her saying:

"Kapatid, can I have ur complete mailing add? Ipadala ko yung book. Tnx! Ü"

San ka pa? She is just so generous that she took time to go to a courier and had it delivered to me! Door-to-door! When it arrived the next day, I immediately read it... Though didn't finished in one seating because of sleepiness, I enjoyed it and I told her (through text pa rin) that she made me cry!

*The Author's Dedication*
My say about the book: Very honest, forgiving, considerate (LJ did not write the book para siraan ang Papa nya), informative, helpful, powerful testimony, nakakaiyak (both sad and happy tears ha), God-glorifying pero nabitin ako! I was craving for more... As in. Hehe.

I am not from a "single parent family" setting but I caught myself relating to what Young Salceda (LJ's brother) wrote:

"I am and will always be indebted to my father for how I came to life.  For that single genetic cell, thank you, Pa.  Part of showing my gratitude to my father is to NEVER follow his footsteps.  He modeled his life for me by exhibiting the things that I shouldn't do.  He chose to live the wrong and hard way.  His life and mishaps served as red flags that cautioned me to take on a different route, completely dissimilar from his.  He was like my early warning device.  I've learned MORE from my father's mistakes than from any other part of his short life.  He indirectly taught me to be more careful of my own habits and choices as these can make a lasting, life-changing impact on myself and others.  My past motivates me to strive to become a better person, and God willing, the best father in the future."

I praise God for how their testimony ministered to me and I'm sure to a lot of people as well.

I would recommend this book for all. Not just for single parents or those who grew up with one parent but for all.

So go to your nearest bookstore and buy a copy. Maganda rin itong Christmas gift. Hehe.

You can also visit LJ's blog here.

*Thanks LJ!*

2 comments:

Faye V. Chelabian said...

Can we share this entry in our E-newsletter (Featured Blogs section)?


Faye of CSM,
(publisher of Eating With One Chopstick)


www.buhaypurpol.ph.tc

Rajsh Sabio-Velasquez said...

Wow! Sure Faye! Thanks! That would be an honor... :)

*giddy*